Sign In


Declaring a Major or Pre-Major

Once you have decided on a major, you will then need to declare either the major or pre-major with the appropriate school or college.  Majors and pre-majors are not declared in EXP, instead please see below:

How to Declare

The Knowlton School of Architecture (KSA) has three majors. Architecture and Landscape Architecture require a 2.5 minimum Ohio State GPA but recommend a 3.3 GPA or better t oachive competitiveness for the major. City & Regional Planning does not reuqire an application but does require a 2.0 minimum OSU GPA to declare. 

Contact KSA's Student Services offices to make an appointment to discuss entering these majors and scheduling toward them.

Arts and Sciences

Students that are interested in an Arts and Sciences major can find where to make an appointment by selecting their major here
  • While most ASC majors are open entry regardless of GPA, there are several exceptions including: Computer & Information Sciences (which is as competitive as Engineering's CSE major and therefore not a viable plan B), Data Analytics, Actuarial Sciences, Neuroscience and Communication.
  • While most ASC majors require an appointment to declare, there are several exceptions. These majors require an informational session to declare, including Psychology, Communication, Mathematics.
  • Some of the ASC majors, particularly in the Arts require portfolio review and/or audition to apply, including Design, Art, Music, Dance, etc.

Fisher College of Business

Students need to have a 3.1 cumulative Ohio State GPA in at least 12 graded OSU hours with a "C" or better in English 1110 and also in either Math 1131 or 1151​. Applications are available at three times per year leading up to the three application deadlines: June 1, Sept 15 and Jan 31. (link to application for Fisher)

Dental Hygiene

The Dental Hygiene major requires a whole bunch of prerequisites so interested students should contact an advisor from the Dental Hygiene program to discuss preparing to apply as soon as possible. Moving into the pre-Dental Hygiene major requires a 2.7 Ohio State GPA in at least 12 graded OSU hours.

Education and Human Ecology
To declare a major or pre-major in the College of Education & Human Ecology, make an appointment with an EHE advisor.

EHE's majors (or in some cases, you'll start in the premajor) are attainable with either a 2.0 GPA or a 2.5 GPA, depending on the major.

On EHE's Student Services website, you'll note that to make an appointment you can call 614-292-9261 or stop by their front desk at A100 PAES Building.

See Engineering's Change into Pre-Major website for details. (Note: For Engineering, students must move into the pre-major before applying to the major.)

Students need a 2.0 minimum Ohio State GPA and completion of (or enrollment in) MATH 1151 to move into a pre-Engineering major. 

NOTE: after Week 1 of the Autumn 2023 semester, current Ohio State students who are not already in the following majors (or premajors) cannot pursue the following Ohio State majors: Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Sciences & Engineering, Computer & Information Sciences, Mechanical Engineering)

Q: When to request the move? 
A: When a student has these criteria in progress (i.e. at the end of the current term, the student plans to be eligible for the pre-Engineering major), they should request to be moved into a pre-Engineering major. Follow the instructions on the Change to Engineering Pre-Major page and complete their form.

Food, Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, including the School of Envinronment & Natural Resources

To declare a major in the College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, call (614) 292-6891 or visit 100 Agricultural Administration Building. A minimum Ohio State GPA of 2.0 is required. See FAES's Student Services page for more details.

To declare a major in the School of Environment & Natural resources, call 614-292-2265 or come in to the front desk in 210 Kottman Hall. A minimum Ohio State GPA of 2.0 is required. See ENR's Student Services page for more details.

Health and Rehabilitation Sciences

To declare a pre-major in HRS, students should have an OSU GPA of at least a 2.5 and should follow the steps described here on the HRS Student Services page, including completing a brief online information session.


Nursing is a competive major with many prerequisites courses. See their BSN Admissions page for details. Interested students should meet with Nursing advising as soon as their interest is identified

Students are eligible to switch to pre-nursing provided they have at least 12 hours of Ohio State credit and a minimum GPA of 3.2.Current Ohio State Columbus campus students can learn more about switching their major to pre-nursing by viewing a major change overview and completing the associated quiz. Click to view the presentation. At the end of the presentation, students have the option of completing a form to request their major to be changed to pre-nursing. 


To make the move into the Pharmaceutical Sciences major, often referred to as the "BSPS program" a student must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA. 

Public Affairs

The Public Affairs undergraduate majors do not have a GPA requirement but interested students will want to meet with an advisor from the College to discuss their plans and make their declaration. See the "Current OSU Students" tab on their Undergraduate Degrees page.
Public Health
Interested students should refer to Public Health's Undergraduate Applications page.

A minimum Ohio State GPA of 2.8 is required for moving into pre-Public Health.
Social Work

Interested students are welcome to contact a Social Work advisor.

Why declare a pre-major when I could stay in EXP?

As a pre-major, you will:

  • Be advised by an advisor who is a specialist in your area of interest
  • Be enrolled in your degree-granting unit (i.e., the college that houses your major)
  • Be one step closer toward declaring your major
  • Meet prerequisite requirements for some courses
  • Move out of EXP before you run out of time in our unit